Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Luas Smart Card top-up idea

I just applied for a Luas Smart Card, which is billed as “the easy pay-as-you-go way to travel on Luas”. Strange – I thought pay-as-you-go was what I was doing when I put my money in the ticket machine and paid for a single trip. I would have thought the smart card more of a “prepaid” way to travel. Semantics aside though, this seems like a good idea and it would have saved me 45 minutes of queueing on Paddy’s Day.

Now if only there were a handy way to top it up from my mobile phone. The thing is, I’m most likely to “remember” that it needs topping up when I “tag-on” and I’m informed that my balance is low. If I could send off a top-up text message while I’m waiting for the next Luas or completing my journey, then I save myself from having to queue the next time – which is surely the point of the whole system.